In this article we will learn about how we can validate the text entries in Microsoft Excel.
Data Validation is used for making the data error free in Microsoft Excel. It is a technique by which we can control the input by providing the drop down list to user. To restrict the numerical value should not be entered in a range, we use “ISTEXT” function
What is use of Input Message?
Input messages are generally used for giving direction to users which type of input you can inserted in a cell. This message is show near the cell if you want to move this pop up you can move it to another cell.
Let’s take an example and understand how we can validate text entries. I have table in range A2:A10, and wants to restrict the entry except text.
To restrict the entries other than text follow below given steps:-
- Select column A, go to menu and select “Data” tab. In the group of “Data Tools” select “Data Validation”. The dialog box will get appear.
- In “Settings” tab select “Custom” from the drop down list of “Allow”, the formula tab will get active.
- Write the “ISTEXT” function in “Formula” box, =ISTEXT (A1:A50).
- Select the tab of “Error Alert” and type the message in “Alert box”, “Input Error” and click on ok.
- When you will enter any number in Column A, it will give the “Error Message”.
This is the way you can restrict the entries excluding the text in a range in Microsoft Excel.
If you liked our blogs, share it with your friends on Facebook. And also you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
We would love to hear from you, do let us know how we can improve, complement or innovate our work and make it better for you. Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org