To color one record in each group in a range, use Conditional Formatting:
1. Select the range of cells (or select the entire column).
2. From the Format menu, select Conditional Formatting.
3. In the Condition 1 box, select Formula Is.
4. Enter the following formula (make sure you are careful about the Absolute and Relative references): =COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)=1
5. Click Format, and select the Patterns tab.
6. Choose any color, and then click OK twice.
Screenshot // Coloring One Record in Each Group in a Range
The applications/code on this site are distributed as is and without warranties or liability. In no event shall the owner of the copyrights, or the authors of the applications/code be liable for any loss of profit, any problems or any damage resulting from the use or evaluation of the applications/code.