Are you wondering if there is a way to force a LEFT function to recognize a number?
Let see how we use Left function in Excel?
The LEFT function treats numbers (digits) as Text, evenwhen contained in a true Number entry. Therefore, when using digits as operators within these functions, the output must be treated as Text.
We will use the LEFT & VALUE functions to make a formula that will convert text into numbers.
num_chars:It specifies the number of characters from the left which you want to extract.
Let us take an example to see that how we can use Left formula in Excel:
- We have some telephone numbers in column A
- We need to find the first 3 numbers of these phone numbers.
- In cell B2,enter the formula =VALUE(LEFT(A2,3))
- The LEFT function will extract the first 3 digits but will be displayed as text (left aligned) &the VALUE function will convert the output into numbers (right aligned).
- We can copy the formula down to the range B3:B11 to achieve the desired result for the whole data set.
If you liked our blogs, share it with your friends on Facebook. And also you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
We would love to hear from you, do let us know how we can improve, complement or innovate our work and make it better for you. Write us at email@example.com