Excel stores Date and Time in number form. To convert hours from one standard time format to other we can use the Convert Function.
In column A, we have Minutes &we need to convert the number of Minutes to Hours in column B.
Convert: Converts a number from one measurement system to another.
Let us take an example:
- In cell B2 type =Convert select cell A2as first argument which contains Minutes
- The second argument in the Convert Function is from_unit which is “mn” for Minutes.
- In the third argument enter or select to_unit as “hr” for Hour
Let us take another example of Converting Days into Minutes
In cell A2 & B2 we have Date & Time.
Cell A2 has 7/1/2014 5:15:00 PM
Cell B2 has 7/3/2014 5:15:00 PM
To calculate Number of Days in cell C2 we will take the difference between start time & end time.
In cell D2 we have used the Convert Function. This function will convert Number of Days to Minutes.
- In cell D2 type =Convert select C2 as the first argument which contains Number of Days
- The second argument in the Convert function is from_unit which will be “day”
- In the third argument select to_unit as “mn”for Minute
- This is how our output appears -
We can calculate the Hours by dividing the minutes by the multiplication of 24 hours *60 minutes. Refer the below screenshot:
In column A, we have the minutes & we are calculating the hours in column B -
After applying custom Formatting in column B as h:mm, see output in below screenshot: