In this article, we are going to learn about how and where we use AND function of Microsoft Excel.
Microsoft Excel AND function tests multiple conditions at the same time, up to 255 conditions and only if all conditions evaluate to TRUE, the function returns a TRUE response. If not, it returns FALSE as a result.
Let’s take examples and understand:-
We have a sample table of data, in which we have data in 2 columns and we want to match our conditions in both table.
Note:- As we have mentioned earlier, AND function can take up to 255 logical arguments and test them at the same time
- Enter function in cell C8
- So, we’ll select A8 in the first logical argument and B8 in the second and then we hit enter
- Function returns TRUE, because both values are TRUE and hence it returns TRUE
Now let’s go to cell C9, and here we will test whether 5 is greater than 0 and B9 is less than A9 or not.
- Enter the function in cell C9
- And select A9, and it should be greater than 0; and now we select B9 and it should be less than A9
- Press Enter
- And function returns FALSE because AND function analyzes both the logical tests and found one logical argument FALSE and hence it returns FALSE
In this example, we will enter the arguments manually:-
- Enter AND function in C10
- Instead of selecting cell references, we will type 2*2=4 in first argument, then 8-4=4, and in 3rd argument, we will enter 16/4=4 and, in the fourth argument, enter 3+1
Note:- As we have given the instructions to check whether all these logical tests are TRUE or NOT. If yes, then function will return TRUE else it would return FALSE.
- Press Enter, it returns TRUE because all the conditions are matching
- But, even if one of the condition is FALSE, function would return FALSE only
In this example, we will learn another way to enter the argument:-
- Enter the function in cell C11
- Select continuous range from A11:B11 and close the parentheses
- Press Enter
- The function will return False, as arguments are not same
Now we’ll learn how AND function works for numbers only in the logical values:-
- Enter the function in cell C12
- And Select A12 & B12 which contain positive number
- Press Enter
- AND function returns TRUE whereas both cells have different values in it, it is because, AND function analyzes any positive number and consider it as TRUE
In this example, we’ll take 0 in the logical test, the function would return FALSE because “0” is always considered FALSE by OR
In these ways, we can use AND function in Microsoft Excel.
Video: How to use AND function in Microsoft Excel
Watch the steps in this short video, and the written instructions are above the video
If you liked our blogs, share it with your friends on Facebook. And also you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
We would love to hear from you, do let us know how we can improve, complement or innovate our work and make it better for you. Write us at [email protected]