In this article, we are going to learn how we can join the text by using formula and function in Microsoft Excel.
In Excel, we have built-in function that we use to join the text and cells. We have a formula to join the text or cells.
To join the several text strings with another text string, we use concatenate formula.
Using Concatenate Function
Let’s take an example and understand:-
We have name list data in range A1:C6. Column A contains First Name, Column B contains Middle name and Column C contains Last name. We need to join the Full name in a single cell.
To join the text with spaces, follow below mentioned steps:-
- Select the cell D2 and write the formula.
- =CONCATENATE(A2,” “,B2,” “,C2) Press Enter.
- The function will join the name in a single cell with spaces.
- Copy the same formula by pressing the key Ctrl+C on your keyboard and paste into the range D3:D6 by pressing the key Ctrl+V on your key board.
Using “&” in Formula
Now, follow below steps to join multiple text string with single text string:-
- Enter the formula in Cell E2.
- =A2&” “&B2&” “&C2
- Press Enter.
- Formula will join the text strings.
Formula Explanation:- We have selected cell A2 then “&” sign to add another string, then we have added space between inverted commas in order to provide space between strings.
Here’s the procedure we followed in this formula.
- Copy the same formula in the range E3:E6.
In these ways, we can join several text strings with one string in Microsoft Excel by using the formula & functions.
Conclusion: – In Excel, we have various options to do one thing. Therefore, various problems can be resolved by using ‘Options’ and Formulas.
If you liked our blogs, share it with your friends on Facebook. And also you can follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
We would love to hear from you, do let us know how we can improve, complement or innovate our work and make it better for you. Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org