In this article, you will learn how to separate number into digits; we use the MID function along with COLUMN function in Microsoft Excel.
1) MID function is used to return a specific number of character(s) from a text string starting at the position specified and based on the number of characters specified.
2) Column function is used to return the column number of a reference.
Let’s take an example to understand how we can separate the number into digits.
Column A contains a list of numbers.
Separating the number in A2 into digits, so that each of cells B2:G2 contains one digit.
Follow below given steps:-
- Write the formula in cell B2.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
- The function will return the first digit of cell A2.
- To split the number of cell A2, copy the same formula by pressing the key Ctrl+C and paste in the range B2:G10.
Formula Explanation: - Mid function helps to pick the value, and column function is providing the number to Mid function which is required to be picked from the cell.
We would love to hear from you, do let us know how we can improve, complement or innovate our work and make it better for you. Write us at [email protected]