In this article, to protect cells containing formula in an unprotected sheet, we will use Data validation option.
Data validation is an awesome feature of Excel that you can use to describe limitations or restrictions on what type of data can be used in a cell. You can prevent users from entering data that is not valid. If you favor, you can allow users to enter invalid data & display a warning message when they enter data in the cell. The shortcut key is ALT+D+L.
Let’s take an example and understand how we can protect the formula containing cells.
We have data in which some cells are containing the formula for the calculation purpose. Now, we want to protect all those cells in which formulas are applied.
Follow below given steps:-
- First of all, we will select the cells that contain formula.
- Go to Home tab > Editing > Find & Select > Formulas
- Go to Data tab > Data Validation.
- Or use ALT + D + L shortcut keys for Data Validation
- Data validation dialog box will open.
- Settings > Allow > Custom & Formula > =””
- Click on OK.
When we will enter any text in the cell, it will never change the formula and a pop up will appear.
This is the way we can protect the formula containing cells through data validation in Microsoft Excel.