You can add special symbols to the number format, such as symbols that are not included in the currency or accounting formats.
The CHAR formula displays the symbol. To add a symbol to the new format you create, copy the symbol to the Type box.
Example: Create a format with the € symbol (euro)
(The symbol does not appear in the format list in Excel 97).
- Enter the formula =CHAR(128) in the cell.
- Press F2 and then F9 to delete the formula and leave the value in the cell.
- In the Formula bar, select the € symbol, and press Ctrl+C (copy).
- Select another cell. Press Ctrl+1.
- Select the Number tab, and choose Custom.
- In the Type box, press Ctrl+V.
- Continue by typing the format code #,##0.
- Press Enter.