Investing for Dummies, Third Edition
||List Price: $21.99
Amazon.com Price: $15.39
- Media: Paperback
Publisher: For Dummies (November, 2002)
- Average Customer Review:
Based on 44 reviews.
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 6,508
a little about everything
I found this book useful because of its amazingly wide coverage of investment strategies (stocks, bonds, T-bills, mutual funds, bank accounts, retirement accounts, real estate, private companies...). It is also quite well written, compared to the other books from the "dummies" series. Nonetheless, the reading of this book did not give me all that I expected. The amount of information on each particular method of investing is not sufficient to use this book as the primary and the only reference, and the author himself occasionally recommends the readers some other books on the subject. On the other hand, the book is too detailed to be a basic simple introduction for people who have no clue what the investing is. While I certainly learned a few things from this book, I do not feel that this book was helpful enough to advance my knowledge far from its starting point. My advice: if you know what sort of investing you prefer, borrow this book from the local library to read a couple of chapters which you need, but buy a more focused and detailed book.
Outstanding book for novices and experienced investors
Finally, an intelligent and honest investment book! After wasting time reading so many books that either don't give specifics or hype techniques to promote the author's own agenda, this book makes sense. It covers investing in the financial markets, real estate and small business since these are the three major ways people build wealth. In each of these areas, Tyson explains what to do and what not to do. As for saving money to invest, the reviewer above who queries what a person should do who needs 20K cash for a new car, Tyson's advice in his Personal Finance for Dummies book is don't buy such an expensive car - buy a good quality used car you can afford!
Excellent book for beginners
I bought this book on Monday night and finished it on Thursday. Great information on a variety of subjects. I am taking what I read and opening an account within a week of finishing this book. I recommend to anyone who is thinking of opening a brokerage account. Well worth the money.
RECOMMENDED Finance, Business & Investment books
- Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not!
- Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
- Retire Young, Retire Rich
- Financial Risk Manager Handbook, Second Edition
- Monte Carlo Methods in Finance
- The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner
- Financial Peace: Revisited
- AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN : HOW TO TAKE IMMEDIATE CONTROL OF YOUR MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, PHYSICAL AND FINANCIAL
- The New Financial Order: Risk in the Twenty-First Century
- The Laws of Money, The Lessons of Life: Keep What You Have and Create What You Deserve
- Investing for Dummies, Third Edition
- Mortgages For Dummies®
- The Total Money Makeover. : A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
- Millionaire Real Estate Mentor : The Secrets of Financial Freedom through Real Estate Investing
- Infectious Greed: How Deceit and Risk Corrupted the Financial Markets
- The Intelligent Investor: The Classic Bestseller on Value Investing
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book On Value Investing, Revised Edition
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
- Investments + S&P Card + Powerweb + StockTrak discount coupon
- Essentials of Investments with Standard & Poor's Educational Version of Market Insight + PowerWeb + Stock Trak Coupon
- Real Estate Finance and Investments (Real Estate Finance and Investments, 11th Ed)
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
- Adventure Capitalist: The Ultimate Road Trip
- Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money--That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
- Real Estate Loopholes: Secrets of Successful Real Estate Investing
- A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market
- Investing in Real Estate, Fourth Edition
- Yes, You Can Time the Market!
- Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People
- Now, Discover Your Strengths
- Dictionary of Finance and Investment Terms
- Personal Finance for Dummies
- Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
- Flipping Properties: Generate Instant Cash Profits in Real Estate
RECOMMENDED MICROSOFT EXCEL TIPS